July Online Meeting--feedback request

Bernie Hoefer LUG-Member at TheMoreIKnow.info
Mon Jul 6 00:02:59 EDT 2020

On 2020-07-03 07:53 UTC-05:00, Pat CINLUG wrote:

> If anyone tried to join but had technical difficulties, please respond
> with details. Maybe we can find ways around those problems.

       Although I was eventually able to join, you all know that I had
problems when I first tried to join.
       The first was that I was using a fairly old computer -- a 2-core
AMD E-350 from 2011.  It barely could keep up after changing the video
settings to be the lowest resolution.
       I was also on WiFi with a wall between me and the wireless
router.   I'm not sure how much affect this had, but I was only getting
~3.8Mbps.
       Finally, and I blame myself for this -- I was choosing the wrong
audio device for the meeting.  Upon connecting to the Jitsi website,
Firefox asked me to allow either:

   "Monitor of Built-in Audio Analog Stereo"

or:

   "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo".

...with the monitor being the default.  Not paying close attention when
I connected, I just picked the default... which was obviously the wrong
choice since no one could hear me the first couple of times I connected.
      Having never really looked into the Linux sound system, I have to
admit that I don't know what this "monitor" is... though a quick web
search shows several other people also getting caught by it in the `why
isn't my microphone working` issue.

> On a broader thought, what are people's experience with online meetings?
> Zoom Video has been a popular choice, and could be an option for CINLUG.

      I've done Zoom, Blue Jeans and Google Meet.  I have to admit I'm
biased against Google, since we all know they're snarfing up each bit of
data about you they can -- so why willingly hand them more by using
their services?
      My experience with those services is that they're all pretty
decent and get the job done.  I've heard people complain about the lag
in Blue Jeans, but I've not thought it was any bad or worse than others.

--
Bernie Hoefer
PGP e-mail is welcome!  Get my 1024 bit signature key from: