July Online Meeting--feedback request

Pat CINLUG pat-cinlug at indy.rr.com
Wed Jul 8 17:01:01 EDT 2020

On 7/8/20 8:52 AM, Michael Schultheiss wrote:
> I've got a Pro Zoom account and can host meetings longer than 40 mins and
> can do recordings. Zoom has made many improvements recently regarding
> security but I'm fine with using other technologies if desired.
>
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 2:28 PM Terry Bowling <terry.bowling at gmail.com>
> wrote:

. . .>>
>> Again, I can host using my employer plans with both Google Meet or
>> Bluejeans, both use webrtc with support on all platforms/browsers, have
>> great security, and no limitations on functionality.

I suggest we take a hybrid approach similar to our IRL meetings:

1) Use a webinar model for the main presentation.
2) Use an open forum model for the after-meeting conversations.

The webinar technology would be the presenters choice so they hopefully
will have less difficulties with what they prefer. Then those that want
to continue chatting can connect on Zoom Video or Jitsi with a wall of
talking heads for the after-meeting.

I think that much of the technical problems we saw this month will
likely persist no matter what video conference bridge is selected.
Between the asymmetrical bandwidth of most home Internet connections,
buffer-bloat in many home routers, high-def webcams, and CPU hungry
clients with eye-candy options enabled, a webinar conference could be
run as a broadcast of one-to-many video and save on the bandwidth and
CPU usage during the presentation.

Pat