new to area: suggestions for inet?

Michael Schultheiss schultmc at cinlug.org
Fri Jul 18 13:07:34 EDT 2014

Kevin Hunter Kesling wrote:
> Hullo List,
>
> My wife and I are moving to the area (south east Indy, inside the
> beltline(?) ) this weekend and we're in need of internet.  However,
> first things first: "Hello, List!"

Hi, Dr. Nick! ;)

> Second things second: Not knowing the local arena, I wonder if the
> collective knowledge of this group might put me on to a better setup
> than I might immediately find on my own.  Any suggestions for
> internet?
>
> Our needs are modest (currently) as I mainly surf the web and ssh to
> servers around the country.  My wife and I also partake in Netflix.
> One thing we flat will not do is a bundled service.  As a policy, we
> do not watch commercial-laden TV channels, and have no need for
> land-line phone option.
>
> We've been subsisting just fine on a 15 Mb/s (advertised, of course)
> line, and currently paying $45/mo for the privilege.  Of course, if
> reasonably priced fiber were an option, that, umm, wouldn't suck.
> :-)
>
> Many thanks!

There isn't much choice for high speed internet access in Indianapolis.
Depending on the specific area, cable internet is either Brighthouse or
Comcast.  AT&T provides DSL most places and U-verse fiber in more select
locations.  In the more rural areas there are several fiber to the home
providers such as Ninestar, Smithville Telecom, and Metronet.

Welcome to Indy!