cinlug Digest, Vol 57, Issue 4

Pat Milligan pmpb at att.net
Sat Jul 19 19:44:27 EDT 2014

> From: Michael Schultheiss <schultmc at cinlug.org>
> Date: July 18, 2014 1:07:34 PM EDT
> To: CINLUG List <cinlug at lists.cinlug.org>
> Subject: Re: new to area: suggestions for inet?
>

> Kevin Hunter Kesling wrote:
>> Hullo List,
>>
>> My wife and I are moving to the area (south east Indy, inside the
>> beltline(?) ) this weekend and we're in need of internet.  However,
>> first things first: "Hello, List!"
>
> Hi, Dr. Nick! ;)
>
>> Second things second: Not knowing the local arena, I wonder if the
>> collective knowledge of this group might put me on to a better setup
>> than I might immediately find on my own.  Any suggestions for
>> internet?
>>
>> Our needs are modest (currently) as I mainly surf the web and ssh to
>> servers around the country.  My wife and I also partake in Netflix.
>> One thing we flat will not do is a bundled service.  As a policy, we
>> do not watch commercial-laden TV channels, and have no need for
>> land-line phone option.
>>
>> We've been subsisting just fine on a 15 Mb/s (advertised, of course)
>> line, and currently paying $45/mo for the privilege.  Of course, if
>> reasonably priced fiber were an option, that, umm, wouldn't suck.
>> :-)
>>
>> Many thanks!
>
> There isn't much choice for high speed internet access in
> Indianapolis.
> Depending on the specific area, cable internet is either
> Brighthouse or
> Comcast.  AT&T provides DSL most places and U-verse fiber in more
> select
> locations.  In the more rural areas there are several fiber to the
> home
> providers such as Ninestar, Smithville Telecom, and Metronet.
>
> Welcome to Indy!

There are a few local ISPs, but they are being squeezed out by AT&T.
My SOHO DSL with Midwest Internet is ending in a few weeks. I'm
looking to use DSLExtreme.com based on suggestions by others caught
in the same situation. Llifegrid.com is a different local ISP I've
seen in passing, and found their web-site, but I haven't had any
contact with them.