Coworking/Teleworking

Wed Jan 23 18:36:51 EST 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 2:14 PM, Jeremy Nelson <jeremyrnelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Coworking is just the name I've seen given to this type of arrangement where
> people are working together, but not together (as in for the same company).
> There doesn't appear to be a common vocabulary for this, which makes it
> tough to find the right type of space.

Hi... I'm a DC local that has been lurking on this list.  But I do the
whole coworking thing in and around DC and have for about three years
now.  I haven't spent much time in Indy for a few years, the things
I've learned to look for are:

Independent/neighborhood coffee shops - generally they have wifi for
free and other than during their rush times (early morning, 3-4pm
caffeine fix), most are open with you camping out for a few hours.
And it helps if you get a friendly rapport with the staff...

Libraries - Generally you can grab a study room/cubby for a few hours
at minimum and quite often all day.  City, county, and university
libraries are all great options.  Usually you can't reserve them in
advance though.

Other companies - No, I don't mean the Intelligent Office guys (I know
some of them locally, great people), instead I mean small companies
that were formerly bigger or are growing and haven't used all of their
space.  It's quite possible that they have open desks that you can get
for cheap if not free.

kc

--
D. Keith Casey Jr.