Customizing Linux boot cd with with ntfs support

Matt Beal mbeal at biosound.com
Mon Apr 3 10:45:04 CDT 2006

From Knoppix site..  After SP2, fahgetaboutit..

6. Captive-ntfs, writing to winxp ntfs
To write to ntfs I run the simple script without using any other programs . If settings are saved on hd, you need to run this script once, and only mount ntfs next. This script is included in " mn ntfs " function in my /profile, or copy this script to, e.g., cptv file and make it executable ( chmod 777 cptv ).
============================
#!/bin/bash
mkdir -p /c ;
for i in ntfs.sys cdfs.sys fastfat.sys ntoskrnl.exe ; do
find $1 -iname $i | xargs --replace cp -f {} /var/lib/captive ; done
cpar="/bin/cp -a --remove-destination --reply=yes"
[ -h /etc/group ] && unlink /etc/group # checking if it is real file, not link
[ -f /etc/group ] || $cpar /KNOPPIX/etc/group /etc/ ;
echo "captive:x:101" >> /etc/group
[ -h /etc/gshadow ] && unlink /etc/gshadow
[ -f /etc/gshadow ] || $cpar /KNOPPIX/etc/gshadow /etc/
echo "captive:*::" >> /etc/gshadow ;
useradd -g captive -d /var/lib/captive captive ;
mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hda1 /c ; #Don't mount captive-ntfs on /mnt/hdxx

Captive-ntfs uses native NT-like Windows drivers, but does not work with drivers from winxp sp2 , win2003 Server and win2k. So, save cdfs.sys fastfat.sys ntfs.sys ntoskrnl.exe from winxp sp1, and run above script as e.g., : cptv /... ~where to look for saved drivers, or cptv /mnt/hda1/windows/system32 ~only sp1, if ntfs is mounted on /mnt/hda1.

If you already upgraded to winxp sp2, copy files from sp1 installation cd i386/ NTFS.SYS and CDFS.SY_ FASTFAT.SY_ NTOSKRNL.EX_ and unpack the last three, e.g., using winRAR, winZIP, or in Linux, e.g., cabextract CDFS.SY_ and copy they to /var/lib/captive .

Don�t move a big amount of data, mainly big number of files , without correct ntfs umounting. Changes on ntfs partition will be saved ONLY when: ALWAYS correctly run umount /c after moving enough files or before system resetting. This script works with Knoppix3.7-3.4, but captive-ntfs was removed from Knoppix3.8. So, boot Knoppix3.7 cd with my profile and knoppix.sh if you need to write to ntfs.

Next frequently asked question is with what OS captive-ntfs works? Captive-ntfs does not work with any OS; it works with ntfs file system. E.g., testing evaluation copies I simultaneously installed (in different folders: c:\winxp c:\win2k c:\win3s) and alternatively run from the same ntfs partition win2k Server, winxp, and win2003 Server. So, captive-ntfs can read/write to any these OS as they use the same ntfs (I'm not sure about winNT file system).