TechPoint Event On Nov. 17th

Matt Jonkman matt at infotex.com
Mon Nov 15 06:23:50 MST 2004

Very true. Sun plays catch-up far too often after their poor decisions.

I remember just a few years ago when they moved the licensing model to
be owner/hardware based rather than just instance on hardware. They
killed their own used hardware market and drove many companies away from
being Sun hardware only server environments because they couldn't afford
to relicense every piece of used Sun hardware they picked up.

I know the bank I was in at the time was 100% Sun unless Sun couldn't do
what was needed, no exceptions. Within 2 months of that new licensing
scheme they put a moratorium on buying any Sun stuff, new or used.
Buying used wasn't cost effective anymore, and buying new was a gamble
because it would probably not have any resale value. They cemented Linux
into the environment, and to my knowledge it's still the primary
platform (on intel hardware :) ).

I think they stuck with that licensing scheme just long enough to drive
away the majority of their loyal customers, then went back to an OS
belonging to the hardware, not the organization. Too late though.

Haven't bought much Sun lately though, anyone know if they're still on a
sensible licensing model now?

Matt

--
Matthew Jonkman, CISSP