[Announce] Looking For Upcoming Speakers

John Scott jscott at posteo.net
Mon Oct 24 17:21:48 EDT 2022

I'm interested in giving a talk about my perspective on libre wireless,
my quest to get all libre firmware building from source, the cross
toolchains necessary, and what I've learned along the way as someone
who'd never really maintained Debian packages and seldom programmed
before. I would be prepared to talk about this as soon as December.

Here's a more comprehensive description of what I've been up to:

I'm the Debian maintainer¹ of open-ath9k-htc-firmware, the firmware for
the flagship libre USB wireless adapters. Speaking of which, I'll bring
plenty to give away to whoever wants them. There are so many things that
make this package and the hardware special, but I want to get all of the
other libre firmware to build from source also with the lessons I've
learned. (Currently virtually all distros, including Debian, ship pre-
built blobs.)

I've been working with the Electronics Team to get necessary cross
compilers packaged, but more help for this initiative is needed! I've
set sights on AR9170 aka carl9170, which uses the open SuperH ISA, but
again more hands are needed to package the firmware. Meanwhile I've been
focusing on quality assurance initiatives for the cross toolchains,
because as I'm sure you can imagine, testing them is very difficult when
you don't have access to appropriate hardware, and Debian is all about
delivering the best quality to users.

¹Note that I am _not_ a Debian Maintainer (with a capital 'M'); that's
an official title reserved for project members.