September meeting "venue" options

Pat CINLUG Pat-CINLUG at indy.rr.com
Mon Aug 24 09:02:08 EDT 2020

CINLUGers,

As August draws to an end, it's time to think about the September CINLUG
meeting. The planned topic is brtfs. We will still be holding this
online, but which service to use? So far we haven't found one that works
well for everyone. Of course the service used is only part of the
puzzle. The network, system hardware, and client are factors as well.
Following I have some observations on what has and hasn't worked based
on some of the previous feedback. I invite others to add their experience.

What hasn't worked:

  * older tablets or laptops
  * older video cards or CPUs
  * WiFi connections
  * not enough system memory
  * activating experimental or advanced features, particularly those the
    increase video processing
  * using web browser as client

What has worked:

  * multi-core 64bit CPU desktop or laptop with plenty of memory
  * mainstream O/S or distribution
  * disabling video if not presenting
  * using services' app instead of browser

Specific combos that have worked for me:

  * Zoom Video client on GNU/Linux and macOS
  * Verizon BlueJeans client on macOS (but not GNU/Linux)
  * Jitsi Meet with Brave (Chromium based) on GNU/Linux and macOS

It is likely that for the September meeting we will stick with the
Verizon Bluejeans used for our August meeting, but could change if
another service would allow more to participate.

Regards,

Pat