Kali VM and VirtualBox Guest Additions

Pat CINLUG pat-cinlug at indy.rr.com
Sat May 12 14:25:52 EDT 2018

I recall someone in a meeting earlier this year mentioned a problem with
using the Guest Additions with a Kali VirtualBox VM. I believe they
wanted to access an USB drive on the host.

I think the solution is to use the VirtualBox packages from the Kali
repositories.

> # dpkg -l virtualbox*
> | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name                              Version               Architecture          Description
> ii  virtualbox-guest-dkms             5.2.8-dfsg-5          all                   x86 virtualization solution - guest addition module source for dkms
> un  virtualbox-guest-modules          <none>                <none>                (no description available)
> un  virtualbox-guest-source           <none>                <none>                (no description available)
> ii  virtualbox-guest-utils            5.2.8-dfsg-5          amd64                 x86 virtualization solution - non-X11 guest utilities
> ii  virtualbox-guest-x11              5.2.8-dfsg-5          amd64                 x86 virtualization solution - X11 guest utilities

This worked for me even though the host is running VirtualBox 5.2.12. I
also had to be sure the USB drive was not mounted on the host.

If I try to update the VirtualBox Guest Additions from the virtual
CD-image, there is a warning that advises sticking with the distro