HP Z800 w/ 2.2TB

Brown, David (Test Dept) Doc.Brown at Rolls-Royce.com
Wed Jan 4 07:47:45 EST 2017

Perhaps you need a BIOS upgrade? HP recommends only using downloads from their site.
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=3912036
Maybe you can check the BIOS version and post it along with the error message(s).

David (Doc) Brown
Rolls-Royce Electronics Engineer
P.O. Box 420 / Mail Stop S15
Indianapolis, IN 46206-0420
+1 317 230 3623 / Tel
+1 317 230 6152 / Fax
+1 317 753 9752 / Mobile
doc.brown at rolls-royce.com<mailto:doc.brown at rolls-royce.com> / Email

From: cinlug [mailto:cinlug-bounces at lists.cinlug.org] On Behalf Of Matthew Lawson
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 7:29 AM
To: cinlug at lists.cinlug.org
Subject: Fwd: HP Z800 w/ 2.2TB

First, thank you to the members who responded so quickly.    Second, apologies for not mentioning in the original email that I had already tried initializing the disk with gParted (and parted for good measure!).  When I tried to set it to 3TB, though, parted griped at me.  I'll pass along the error message to anyone who asks after I recreate it tonight.

Of course, I used parted on the Z800, so tonight I'll use a different machine that has recognized the full size of the disk in the past.  I guess doing so might make a difference.

~ML

wrote:
I bought a HP Z800 for home use, including NAS, VM's, sandbox, etc. To my chagrin, I have discovered that it will only recognize a max HDD size of 2.2TB. I've gathered that it is used by too-old firmware. However, a member of the HP forum board successfully installed a 3TB drive under Windows, so it seems technically feasible. He recommended updating the Intel controller driver, but HP does not offer a controller driver for Linux derivatives. I'm loathe to make unnecessary changes because I don't want to make anything worse.

Sooooo...does anyone know how to overcome the 2.2TB threshold?

FWIW, HP sold this workstation as RHEL-ready, so it is compatible with Linux.

This is virgin territory for me, so please use monosyllabic words and type slowly.

System Specs: Z800, dual-Xeons, 24GB ram, Ubuntu 16.04 from a USB drive (persistent) and one 3TB WD Red

TIA,

~ML
This e-mail (including attachments) contains contents owned by Rolls-Royce plc and its subsidiaries, affiliated companies or customers and covered by the laws of England and Wales, Brazil, US, or Canada (federal, state or provincial). The information contained in this email is intended to be confidential, may be legally privileged and subject to export controls which may restrict the access to and transfer of the information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, interception or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may subject you to further legal action. Reply to the sender if you received this email by accident, and then delete the email and any attachments.