HP Z800 w/ 2.2TB

Matthew Lawson mlawson at protonmail.ch
Tue Jan 3 21:18:59 EST 2017

I bought a HP Z800 for home use, including NAS, VM's, sandbox, etc. To my chagrin, I have discovered that it will only recognize a max HDD size of 2.2TB. I've gathered that it is used by too-old firmware. However, a member of the HP forum board successfully installed a 3TB drive under Windows, so it seems technically feasible. He recommended updating the Intel controller driver, but HP does not offer a controller driver for Linux derivatives. I'm loathe to make unnecessary changes because I don't want to make anything worse.

Sooooo...does anyone know how to overcome the 2.2TB threshold?

FWIW, HP sold this workstation as RHEL-ready, so it is compatible with Linux.

This is virgin territory for me, so please use monosyllabic words and type slowly.

System Specs: Z800, dual-Xeons, 24GB ram, Ubuntu 16.04 from a USB drive (persistent) and one 3TB WD Red

TIA,

~ML