IUPUI Student Radio Station should be Linux Based

Michael Schultheiss schultmc at cinlug.org
Wed Mar 9 08:41:39 MST 2005

ben racher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a closet linux junkie, who has now been thrust into the role of
> becoming the General Manager of IUPUI's new Student Radio. So...
> obviously I'm writing you because I want to develop an audio
> infrastructure that can at the very least handle webcasting, and at the
> very most deal with uncompressed audio for AM/FM.

As an IUPUI student, Linux advocate, and long time CINLUG member, I'm
very excited about the possible role of Linux at the IUPUI radio
station.

Streaming/webcasting can be handled with Icecast -
http://www.icecast.org/

> So I've been doing a lot of research about ALSA and all the audio
> software out there, and this all seems very possible. We could use
> FLAC for a digital audio archive

Most automation systems have their own format and could probably serve
as an audio library.  AM/FM quality is much less than CD/FLAC - you
could probably get away with a compressed format like Ogg Vorbis
(http://www.vorbis.com/) and save disk space without affecting the audio
quality too much.

, store it all on an SSL FTP server,
> do automation with this cool new program LiveSupport

Looking at http://livesupport.campware.org it doesn't look like
LiveSupport is fully functional yet.  Salem Radio Labs has a GPL'd
automation system called Rivendell -
http://www.salemradiolabs.com/rivendell/ - I haven't used it myself but
have researched it in the past.  There's a LinuxJournal article entitled
"Helping Broadcast Radio with Linux" available at
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7168 - it mentions a couple sites
using Linux automation systems but doesn't mention which systems they're
using.

, audio production
> with Ardour and JACK, obviously do our website with one of the many
> Content Management Systems (currently using postnuke, but I've been
> checking out Plone).

We use PostNuke for the CINLUG website and used to use Zope.  We're
considering a presentation on different CMS's for a future CINLUG
meeting.

> So... sound like a good project?

Sounds like an excellent project - hope it works out.  Feel free to ask
questions on this list or in our forums.