Any interest in an SELinux presentation?

Doc.Brown at rolls-royce.com Doc.Brown at rolls-royce.com
Thu Aug 4 09:35:33 MDT 2005

Josh,

I'd like to hear about how SELinux can be configured to pass the government
NISPOM chapter 8 auditing policy requirements; specifically DSS C2 PL-1
audits for systems where ALL users have formal access approval and ALL users
have the "need-to-know."  By the way, to folks on this list who don't know
the jargon, the DSS is the Defense Security Service and their website is
(http://www.dss.mil <http://www.dss.mil/> ). CA stands for Controlled Access
Protection see (http://csrc.ncsl.nist.gov/secpubs/rainbow/std001.txt
<http://csrc.ncsl.nist.gov/secpubs/rainbow/std001.txt> ) and PL-1 stands for
Protection Level 1 and it is the easiest of the 4 levels to pass...however
it is by no means easy to pass.  Chapter 8 of the NISPOM can be seen here
(http://www.dss.mil/isec/change_ch8.htm
<http://www.dss.mil/isec/change_ch8.htm> ).  I have been using a product
called Snare for Linux (http://www.intersectalliance.com/projects/Snare/
<http://www.intersectalliance.com/projects/Snare/> ) to pass these audits.

In regards to the time-frame, I'd rather have Josh do the Sept. presentation
(since I will most likely not be able to make the October one due to a new
member of my family arriving at that time).  Not that I wouldn't LOVE to
hear Ram Rao speak again, but I am somewhat involved in Linux Security at
Rolls-Royce and I really-really-really want to hear about the SELinux stuff.
Regards,
David (Doc) Brown
Rolls-Royce, Mail Stop W2C
2001 S. Tibbs Ave.